Start Your Linux Journey
Welcome to the first step on your path to Linux mastery!
Down To Earth Linux teaches Linux basics simply. Here, you’ll learn to:
- Setup an awesome Linux testing environment.
- Select, download, and install Linux distributions.
- Navigate Linux like a pro.
- Customize Linux to make it your own.
In addition to these primary focuses, you will also find tips, advice, and news related to Linux, the Linux community, and the computer industry as a whole.
Start By Ignoring the Theory
To become proficient with Linux, you have to use it. To use it, you need Linux proficiency. It’s a frustrating catch-22.
For many, piggybacking on someone else’s proficiency is the quickest and easiest way to get started. To that end, we have a short and simple eBook that sets up a Linux environment step-by-step without burying you in technical details. By the end of the eBook, you will have a functional Linux operating system and know how to get around it.
Just Tell Me Damnit!
A step-by-step guide to getting started with Linux.
No need to worry about damaging or corrupting your computer. No need to stress over terminology and concepts. Don’t settle for information overload. Download this eBook and start using Linux right away!
Get a Solid Foundation
Once you’ve had some exposure to Linux, you’ll want to make sure you have some basic foundation knowledge. Having mad skills and knowledge in the basics will greatly ease your transition into Linux.
- Empower Yourself With Google Search – There are two kinds of Linux users… those that have had problems, and those who are going to have problems. Search engines are okay tools for finding answers. However, with a few tips and tricks, you can turn Google’s search engine into an answer powerhouse!
- x86, x64, amd64, and ARM… Oh My! – One of the first things you must know about your computer is its processor architecture. Don’t worry, it’s not as scary as it sounds.
- WTF Is a Partition? – Having a basic understanding of partitioning is necessary to install any operating system, particularly Linux.
Obtaining and Installing Linux
One of Linux’s greatest assets is also one of its worst: choice! Before using Linux, you have to know what you need, and how you want Linux to look and act. When armed with a bit of information, these decisions are simple!
- WTF Is a Distribution? – It’s a term tossed around in Linux circles regularly. But what exactly is a distribution, and how does it affect obtaining Linux?
- Get Your Linux Distribution? – There are a few choices for getting your first copy of Linux. This article explains the best methods and where to find them.
- Installing Your Linux Distribution (coming soon) – This is it! You’ve got your copy of Linux, now you must install it. Here you’ll learn about common Linux installation steps and read about installing your distribution of choice.
Getting and installing Linux is only half the battle. Now that it is installed, you have to learn how it works… oh my!
- Desktop Environments 101 – Again, Linux is full of choices. Unlike Microsoft Windows or Apple OS X, Linux has a lot of graphical interfaces you can switch between. Picking one isn’t as easy as it sounds. This article analyzes a few of the most common, and give you the information you need to choose one.
- Using Linux for the First Time (coming soon) – This covers the basics of navigating through a Linux graphical interface. It analyzes some commonly found software, how to change basic settings, and do some initial setup.
- The Essential Primer For the Linux Terminal – Now that we’ve covered all the mushy graphical interfaces, it’s time to dig a little deeper. It is possible to procrastinate and avoid the confrontation, but most Linux users must eventually conquer the mysterious terminal. This article introduces the Linux terminal and explains basic principles for using it. Without a gentle introduction, the terminal overwhelms new users.
- How to Use ‘man’ Pages to Enhance Terminal Skills – Now that you’re armed with terminal skills, you need an easy way to expand them. Enter the ‘man’ page!
Set Yourself Up For Success
Linux is complex. Unlike other popular operating systems, to get the most from Linux, you will need to research, learn, and experiment regularly. An easy way to do this is to subscribe to a few Linux websites and to read and try everything that catches your eye.